The Christmas and New Year holidays traditionally revolves around food and family; it is a time of joy and family celebration. Although it represents serious temptation for people who are trying to lose weight, the following tips may help you to stay on track throughout the holiday, so you do not need to start over again after the New Year.
- Plan ahead of time what and how much you are going to eat and drink, and decide ahead of time which food and drink you are going to give up to avoid excessive calorie intake.
- Eat a light snack before going to any holiday parties, so you are less likely to eat too much.
- Stay away from anything that are creamy or fried. Have your sauces on the side. Always remember that you do not need to clean the plate, stop eating when you feel that you can do without the extra food.
- Make up for the extra calories through the rest of the day. For example, eat only a small portion of fruits for dessert instead of cakes, puddings or cookies; drink only water or any other low calorie drinks instead of fruit juices, soft drinks, or alcohol.
- If you are hosting the party, make sure some healthy food choices are also available, so you know there are alternatives that will not blow your diet.
- Last but not the least, get moving! Use all opportunities to burn extra calories: volunteer yourself to help serve food to the guests; organise games for the party…
This holiday, I hope you can all enjoy the festive food whilst staying on track to a healthier body!